ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 23:45:31 -0500
Wayne (don't give up the HOCKEY-L list, please) Smith writes:

>3 I wonder if the coaching staff is having the same trouble adjusting to
>  a team unable to hit as the fans?
>

>Let's chat, gang!
>
>Maine fan

Something provoked the Merrimack chippy play throughout the game
Saturday...I think some hitting went on.  It might not have been the
"flatten 'im into the boards" type, but not many Merrimack players made it
into the slot without being hacked on the stick, pushed, or at least
closely covered (not counting the two defensive mistakes for opponent
breakaway goals).

Some of the best "hitting" isn't hitting, but covering an opponent so close
as to be near the line for drawing a holding or interference call. When
teams aren't hitting, you get lots of odd-man rushes and men uncovered near
the goal.

I think the coverage was very good -- they drew all sorts of "reaction"
calls. Look at the list (in part)  Look at the penalties called on Saturday
-- Maine got much the better of the number of calls.

First Period:
Penalties
        MC - Guzior, roughing 17:29

Second Period:
Penalties
        MC - Philbin, charging 6:31
        MC - Porter, late hit 10:01
        ME - Jaaskelainen, late hit 10:01
        MC - Stringer, slashing 16:34

Third Period:
Penalties
        MC - Stringer, slashing 1:20
        MC - Scoville, late hit 6:12
        MC - Porter, slashing 16:07
        ME - Cullen, interference 17:39
        MC - Kesselring, late hit 19:02
        ME - Boone, late hit 19:02
        ME - Begg, late hit 19:02

Stringer was covered VERY closely, for one.

I'll need to see more games here in Mass. or on TV (?) to make a final call
as to whether what you say is accurate, or whether my observations were
after seeing a game which was a one-game anomaly and not a trend.

Go Blue !!

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be with the big club in Boston         ***