EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Alex Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:27:24 +0000
One final fling at catching the Pooka.  See Yeats's entry on "The Pooka" in
_Fairy and Folk Tales of Ireland_: "The Pooka, recte Puca, seems
essentially an animal spirit.  Some derive his name from poc, a he-goat;
and speculative persons consider him the forefather of Shakespeare's
"Puck". . .  He has many shapes--is now a horse, now an ass, now a bull,
now a goat, now an eagle.  Like all spirits, he is only half in the world
of form."  Beware: he is a November spirit.

Regards,
Alex

At 07:39 03/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Actually "puck" is obviously closer in English. See OED p.2350 "whether it
>was originally Teutonic or Celtic is unsettled." So are a lot of other
>things in this brave new world.

>>From: Alex Davis <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: help
>>Date: Fri, Nov 3, 2000, 3:35 AM
>>

>> Dear Alex,
>>
>>         Irish: Puca--hobgoblin is the closest approximation in English.
Don't