EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:23:31 -1000
There's some entertaining miscellaneous gossip about Putnam (and Pound, and
_The New Review_, and _European Caravan_) in the memoirs of Wambly Bald,
the _Chicago Tribune's_ Paris reporter from 1929 to 1933. These are _On the
Left Bank 1929-1933_, ed. Benjamin Franklin V (Ohio UP, 1987).

And by way of saving some time in the chase after wild geese, let me
mention three interesting recent books that are Putnamfrei:

1. Paul Mariani, _The Broken Tower: A Life of Hart Crane_ (Norton, 1999).
After just a few pages you find yourself asking, "How could anybody stand
Hart Crane?" The more you read, the more insistent the question gets. To
learn the answer, however, all you have to do is take a single glance at

2. _O My Land, My Friends: The Selected Letters of Hart Crane_, ed. Langdon
Hammer and Brom Weber (Four Walls Eight Windows, 1997). We should all have
written letters like these when we were 19.

3. Finally, of interest more anthropological than literary, _Letters from
the Lost Generation: Gerald and Sara Murphy and Friends_, ed. Linda
Patterson Miller, is not recent (Rutgers UP, 1991) but was recently
remaindered very cheap by Daedalus Books.

Jonathan Morse