EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:38:51 -0400
How sound is any Egyptologist? Many I'm sure will think even Donald B.
Redford is off his nut when he writes such things as "Biblical historical
scholarship has of late been bedeviled by the acceptance, tacitly or
explicitly, of a number of arbitrary preconceptions that fail to be honestly
acknowledged, and by a tedious tendency to rationalize the conservative
views learned at the feet of priest, preacher, or rabbi as a philosophy of
history. Under the first one might cite the commonly accepted view that
ancient Israel perceived history as god's judgment on mankind leading
inexorably to universal salvation through god's guidance of Israel. Such a
view obviously goes hand in hand with a feeling that ancient Israel was
unique, in particular, in its awareness of history and history writing: none
of the great river-valley civilizations of Egypt or Mesopotamia really
produced works of 'history'; only Israel did, and of course Greece (with a
hasty nod in the direction of a most prestigious discipline)." p.261 EGYPT,
CANAAN, AND ISRAEL IN ANCIENT TIMES.
    Redford is a Canadian so he is immune to prosecution under the "Patriot"
Act for such blasphemy.
    Is everyone still getting their messages from the EP list?

Charles