EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Stoner James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 06:13:56 -0800
Mr. Moyer,

Funny!  You have such a cynical sense of humor! It's all about marketing
these days, whether we like it or not that's what we got.  Hell you can
create a need where there previously wasn't one, that's the ugly in
Capitalism; but I suppose, if I have to look for the good in it, it is
also its beauty, and it hurts for me to say that, but I'm trying to be
fair-minded.  I wonder all economic or political systems rely on
marketing, but just call it something else. I'm not sure, though, the kids
are so big on drugs as they were 20-30 years ago, or maybe it's a
different drug: for me, the drug is literature; my ecstasy, maybe a Pound
of this, or little Winters of that, and why not? It’s safe, but literature
can, perhaps, be destructive, constructive, and transforming; a tool for
self-and social change, as both Bernstein and Pound would have it (notice
I switch the primacy of terms), and people can actually learn something
along the way, but hopefully it's self-discerning.  And democracy, 0'
democracy, not so true a democracy in a world with such sharp class
distinctions.  O' why do you disparage democracy as an ideal concept?

EzStoner