EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 13:07:05 -0400
David,
This is an interesting remark that you've brought to our attention, which
can help us to understand Pound's methods. Pound's Cantos bring together
these two courses: his art makes absolute statements using exempla of the
'proportionally good' action. The important idea here is _proportional_.
Thus, when one encounters among Pound's exemplars individuals who have taken
drastic action, a fair question to ask is, What did Pound see as the
proportional badness, historical or contemporary, that might have warranted
such extreme measures? The wartime broadcasts and his other prose works shed
light on the badness of these times, as Pound perceived it, and, in turn,
illuminate the _proportional_ goodness of the exemplars whose actions are
exalted in the Cantos. For that reason, I would assert that his broadcasts
and prose writings are integral to an understanding of the exemplars in the
Cantos. I do agree in a qualified sense with your view that his
propagandizing and counter-propagandizing "unmake his own making". What his
wartime polemics have unmade is his reception, his place in the canon.
Tim Romano