EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Hideo Nogami <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 23:01:12 +0900
Dear Jacob Korg:

I almost failed in the flood of mails to recognize your message
addressed to me.
Answering to your question, what I wrote in the former post
all comes from Ruthven's A Guide to Ezra Pound's Personae
(1926) , UC Press 1969,  as I noted.
Ruthven's comment on the poem (The Alchemist) is not so
much extensive but very interesting. I'd like to suggest you would
access to this book.
Particular source Pound found these names is not mentioned
in the comment. But it looks like some of them are not
uncommon. Alcmena, Briseis, and Alcyon belong to Greek
mythology. Aelis, Tibors, and Audiarda are found in Provencal
literature.
Alchemy is established by Rimbaud as a common metaphor
for the poetic process, according to Ruthven, and "the theme of the
poem is that sequences of beautiful names, when chanted,
will have the magical powers of the elusive Philosophers' Stone."

best wishes

Hideo Nogami