EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"John K. Taber" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 16:58:09 -0500
I've read only an excerpt in the Norton Anthology of
Modern Poetry. Let me quote:

On a trip to Russia made in the early thirties Cummings
found that country to be another enormous room and
excoriated it in a book called _Eimi_ (Greek for "I am")
1933. He gives there purported conversations with Russians
such as this one with a dramatist. Cummings instructs
the interpreter,
        "tell him I drink . . . to the individual."
        A pause "he says that's nonsense."
        "Tell him I love nonsense and I drink to nonsense." Pause
        "he's very angry. He says you are afraid"
        "tell him I am afraid to be afraid"
        noisemusic,a waiter's glaring. "He believes you are mad."
        "Tell him:a madman named noone says,that someone is and
anyone isn't;and all the believing universe cannot transform
anyone who isn't into someone who is" (_Eimi_ pg 101)

Compare that to Mayakovsky (I think) who denounces the lyric
poet writing on personal themes as "clutching his puny little
self." Maybe it was Gorki.

"enormous room" refers to Cummings's book of that title
relating his imprisonment in a French detention center
during WW I. Cummings's buddy had written a letter home
frankly depicting French morale. The censors caught it,
the French authorities threw the buddy into the slammer
for telling the truth, and did the same to Cummings because
he was a friend. It's not a great book, but it's worth
a read.

--
John K. Taber