EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 12:08:37 -0400
What about EP's relation to Gramsci? Surely EP knew about him, his
imprisonment and his death, if not concurrent to the events, at least
after. Is there any record of that?

And in terms of critical inquiry, has anybody done comparative work of
Gramsci and Pound? Both are cultural critics of a certain influence and
weight living through many of the same events, if at diametrically
opposed positions. The relation to press, media, social structure and
freedom of thought, the role of "historical knowledge", all shared
concerns.

I apologize for my ignorance in this matter. I have not kept current in
Pound criticism, but I certainly remember thinking that the earlier
biographical and critical work never took into account (or even
mentioned the existence and contemporary contributions of) Gramsci.

Michael