EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:25:17 -0500
Re: Pound and Gestalt ... how can one read Pound and NOT be aware of his
deep understanding of the basic tenents of Gestalt theory!! Modernism rests
squarely on this leap from visible parts to unseen whole. the ideogrammatic
sensibility underscores the idea of expressing the unexpressed... the
the vorticist imagination is a gestalt... poetry as nexus -  knot - into
which, out of which and through which ideas are constantly rushing...
somehow MORE than the knot itself...

Whether Pound was familiar with the specific school of psychology which
popularised a Gestalt manifesto I have no idea, but Pound, perhaps without
needing the terminology, was very much a generative influence in the
re-tribalisation of literature, an astute initiate into the philosophical,
poetic, mythic and psychological mysteries of what we now refer to so glibly
as "gestalt".

Stoneking