EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Brett Zombro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:05:57 -0400
At 12:33 PM 8/30/99 -0400, Carlo Parcelli wrote:
                                 <Re. Wash. Post>

>Their approach toward 'serious' literature and thinking in general is
>not only dismissive and even hostile (witness recent no nothing attacks
>on Joyce (they couldn't undertsand Ulysses), Schopenhauer, Derrida,
>Heidegger etc.) But more significantly , it reflects the same way they
>treat the aspirations of poor people, populist movements, trade unions,
>grass roots organizations et al.

Well, yeah.   These are among the kinds of things I was thinking
of as factors having nothing to do with Pound.  But perhaps I should
have said 'not particularly related to Pound's reputation,' since Pound
himself certainly was concerned with at least some of them.

And yes, these 'journalists' of whom I was speaking do unfortunately
include a few people who think of themselves as English professors.

Anyway, you've incited me sufficiently that I may just shoot off a
letter to Post Book World this week.   We'll see what happens.

--
Brett Zombro