EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:15:30 +0900
I'm wondering if the current financial fracas is not the time for me to try again
to get someone interested in Giano Accame's <Ezra Pound Economista> (1995).

Some of you will remember this book. Tim Redman does, I'm sure. If you've
forgotten it, the appeal to publishers I wrote five years ago, abridged for the
present audience, went like this.

----------
The question of Pound’s knowledge of economics has long been a controversial
one among Pound scholars, all the more so because it is always linked to his
relation to the still more sensitive issues of fascism and anti-Semitism. The
matter has been the topic of some ten books within the past decade. Yet, the
fact remains, that none of these scholars has any specialized knowledge either
of economics or of Italy. All of them are Anglophone literary scholars, whose
starting point is moral rather than historical. [A debatable assertion, I know, but
I'm writing for publishers.]
      Accame begins with a survey of major writers who have attacked usury
(borrowing Pound’s term) from the classical period to the early twentieth
century. Then in his central chapters he examines the involvement of literary
figures with economics in England, France, and Italy, and he explores Pound’s
economic theories and his links to the Fascist regime.
     Accame's exposition of Pound's economic ideas is in effect a vindication of
Pound the Economist against his anglophone calumniators.
---------

I translated the first chapter of the book in 2001 but couldn't find a publisher to
encourage me to continue. Has the passage of seven years, or the hubbub of
the present broohah, changed the potential reception of the book in the
English-speaking world, making the time propitious to try again?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has thoughts about the matter. I'll send
Ch. 1 to anyone who asks to read it.

Wayne Pounds
Tokyo