EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Alice Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 11:40:27 PDT
Hello,

I am a college student writing a paper on Pound's "Salutation the Second".
I have several questions I would like some help with if anyone has the time.
  First of all, is there an essay or book out there on this poem
specifically?  I have only been able to find analysis more
general--discussing his relationship with Whitman and romanticism.

Now for my more specific questions about the poem:

1) about the lines

"No! His first work was the best."
       "poor dear. he has lost his illusions."

are these lines referring to a specific set of poems or period of his early
writing? I am not even close to well informed about most of Pounds life and
career so please bear with my questions if they seem very obvious.

2)about the allusion in the lines

"Dance the dance of the phallus
        and tell anecdotes of Cybele!
Speak of the indecorous conduct of the Gods!
               (tell it to Mr. Strachey)"

I know quite a bit about Cybele and I understand that part of the allusion,
but I don't know much about Strachey (Lytton, right?) All I know is that he
is an English contemporary known primarily as a biographer. What is his
relation to Cybele? Did he write extensively on her?  I just don't
understand the reference.

If anyone could answer some or all of my questions, it would be a tremendous
help to me. Thanks!

Alice