EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:58:58 -0500
8bit
From:
Burt Hatlen <[log in to unmask]>
- Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine              <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>The Pound sessions at the American Literature Association Conference over
>Memorial Day in San Francisco went well though we had two speakers who had
>to cancel at the last minute (one because he had just gotten a job requiring
>an immediate move to Washington, D.C., the other because the person she was
>caring for back in Chicago took suddenly ill). Luckily, both were in the
>session Pound and Politics so we turned it into a group discussion.
>
>It is time to think of panel topics for the ALA Conference in Boston next
>Memorial Day. One that immediately occurs is Pound and the New England
>Heritage -- I thought Pound and the Adams family but that might be a bit too
>narrow.
>
>Suggestions are welcome. I can organize it again if you want, or, if Burt
>wishes to take it back, he can do it. The key now is panel ideas and paper
>proposals.

Tim Redman sent around this message last September, and since then I've heard no further discussion about possible Pound sessions at the 2005 ALA. I thought that there might be some action at the MLA, but apparently no EP Society business meeting
was scheduled.  With respect to the MLA, Alec Marsh and I conferred by telephone, and we have come up with topics for the 2005 MLA: panels on EP at St. Elizabeths (organized by Alec) and on EP and the Confucian Tradition (organized by Robert
Kibler). But as far as I know there has been no planning to date for the 2005 ALA in Cambridge, MA. Perhaps with TWO Pound conferences coming up this year (April 28-May 1 at Hamilton College, and July 4-7 in Rapallo) people are feeling overwhelmed.
But if we are to have EP sessions at the ALA (we're entitled to two), we must make that decision now, as the deadline is the end of this month.

So first, I'd like to take up Tim's offer to organize a panel on EP and the New England Heritage.  Tim, are you still willing? And to all of you who receive this message, do you have papers you would like to propose for such a panel? If so, please
send the proposals to Tim. His e-mail address is [log in to unmask]

And if there is interest in a second panel, I am willing to try to organize one. (Cambridge is just down the road from me--well, it's a five hour drive--and I have two daughters living in the Boston area, so I'm always looking for reasons to make
the trip.) As far as such a second panel is concerned, I think I will simply invite proposals from anyone who would like to do a paper.  Let me know what you are interested in, and I will try to put together a panel that will be reasonably coherent.
My e-mail address is [log in to unmask]

But this must all happen VERY SOON, or it won't happen at all.

Burt Hatlen