EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:52:26 -0700
7bit
From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Further quotations from "I Gather the Limbs of Osiris":

"What I want to get at is this: in the interpreting of the hidden melody
of poetry into the more manifest melody of music, are there in the words
themselves 'tone-leadings'? Granted a perfect accord of word and tune is
attainable by singing a note to each syllable and a short or long note
to short or long syllables respectively, and singing the syllable
accented in verse on the note accented in the music, is there anything
beyond this? Does, for instance, the voice really fall a little in
speaking a vowel and nasal, and is a ligature of two notes one half tone
lower than the other and the first very short, a correct musical
interpretation of such a sound as 'son', 'un', 'cham'? And are there
other such cases where a ligature is not so much distortion as explication.

"No one man can set bounds to this sort of performance, and a full
discussion of the case would fill a volume, which I have neither time
nor inclination to write. The questions are, however, germane to the
technique of our art.
"My questions may seem to be shot at random, but we are notably lacking
in 'song-literature', and if it is at all important to make good this
deficit we must have first some consideration of the basic questions of
mediation between word and tune, some close attention to the quality of
our audition, some reasoning parley between the two people most
concerned ? the poet and the musician."