EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Jeff Twitchell-Waas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:03:32 +0800
I'll take a stab at Safdie's query since I too feel talking about EP's
"Taoism" is somewhat problematic (also a partial response to Robert Kibler
who back-channeled me and who I suspect knows a whole lot more than I do
about all this).

As I understand it, EP's dismissal of Taoists, with Buddhist thrown in as
well, from the Chinese Cantos on needs to be seen within the political
paradigm he's trying to construct in his broad reading of Chinese history,
overtly leaning on Confucian sources. In this pardigm the Confucians
represent this-worldly, rational, pragmatic governance, while the Taoist as
the antithetical political party or faction represent self-serving intrigue
disguising itself as other-worldly do-nothingness (things always stay the
same). The latter is the institutional aspect of Taoism which is heavily
involved in scorcery, magic, pursuit of the elixer of immortality, etc. (
till alive in present day Chinese cultures). This is distinct from the
philosophical-asethetic traditions of Taoism so present in classical
Chinese poetry and painting that I think most Westerners assume goes under
the designation "Taoism."

Given the strongly syncratic tendency of Chinese cultural traditions,
whether intellectual or popular, EP hardly needed to have contact with
properly Taoist sources to pick up on some of its basic elements.
Confucians used the same character/term "dao" in their writings as well.
Many of those passages in the later Cantos about being part of the process,
etc. that have been taken to suggest Taoism, have identifiably Confucian
sources.

Zhaoming Qian's recent study limits itself the the pre-Cantos Pound. His
argument for EP's Taoism involves pointing out his early interest in a few
remarks by Zhuangzi (esp. the famous butterfly dream bit), the predominance
of Li Po who was a Taoist in Cathay, and also that immediately after Cathay
EP became seriously interested in the famous Taoist poet and painter Wang
Wei--although most of his translation work with Wang Wei remained in drafts
and so his presence remained muted. Qian argues that EP had an uncanny
ability to recognize a spiritual depth in the Chinese poems he worked on
from the Fenollosa notebooks, and given the poets he was mainly working
with Qian wants to call this "Taoism." However, Qian admits that this
spiritual element is just as likely coming from DeGourmont and French
symbolism/aestheticism--and any vetern EP reader could add a good many
other sources that could be generally designated his
spiritual/religious/mythopoetic matrix. To be just, I think Qian is only
arguing that Taoism is one of the significant elements in this big mix. But
it does raise the question of what is specifically Taoist about this in EP.
What, for that matter, do most generally intellectual Westerners think they
are talking about when they discuss "Taoism"? Despite the title of Qian's
study, Orientalism and Modernism, he is uninterested in Orientalism as a
Western discourse about China or an idea of China, and consequently elides
the question of whether the designation "Taoism" ends up being much more
than that desired added touch of mysteriousness, exoticism and supposed
philosophical profoundity. I don't mean this dismissively but as a
question. What is gained by insisting on this Taoist strand in EP as
opposed to other Western sources/tradtions?

And let me hasten to add, that the above remarks should not detract from
the very solid and valuable scholarship that Qian's study represents.

Why is it that EP never seems to have had any interest in Du Fu, Li Po
great Confucian counterpart, who in China has traditionally been considered
the even greater poet (I'd presume this critical tradition to be
predominately Confucian)? Du Fu represents the ideal synthesis of virtuoso
technical mastery with a powerful sense of social responsibility, and many
of his most famous poems sympathetically depict that sufferings of the
common folk as a result of incompetent government. But then, despite
numerous attempts, Du Fu has been considered semi-impossible to effectively
translate.

Jeff Twitchell-Waas