EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
David Centrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:39:10 -0400
Dr. Pearlman

I'm enjoying _Barb of Time_ ; I'm fascinated by your whole discussion of
time--Dali's melting clocks have a whole new meaning for me now.  I'm only
up to page 100 but already I've gained some new insights.  It occurs to me
(because of all the talk lately about Pound's meter) that the struggle
between artificial and natural time would have to constantly influence the
poet's decisions as to the phrasing.  The meter itself seems to gain an
almost semantic quality.

You suggested this as a possible theme:
A theme I would suggest would be the representation of
Woman.  This undergoes drastic change: in the first XXX,
he's seen as a "chaos," a biological something-or-other
(I forget his exact phrase); whereas, by the time of the
Pisans, she's become spiritualized, the intercessor,
connected with moon-goddess and similar vs. the sun
imagery.

I'm going to investigate this next time a page through _The Cantos_

Thanks again,

Dave