EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Leon Surette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:51:28 -0500
    I apologize if this is a repetition, but I sent this note to the list a
week or so ago, but have not seen it appear, so I presume I made some sort
of mistake in posting.
There has recently been some discussion of the possibility of  accessing (or
creating) an electronic version of the Cantos. As has been pointed out, an
electronic version was created a decade or so ago--by Walter Baumann, as was
not mentioned--in connection with an Oxford project. But I believe that is
no longer available because of a copyright dispute. Richard Taylor has
prepared a more elaborate electronic edition, which is as yet unavailable.
    However, a commercial service, Literature on Line (LION) has a full text
of the Cantos available on line for those who are fortunate enough to be at
universities that subscribe to their service. They have much else as well.
Here is their boast: "Welcome to Literature Online, A fully searchable
library of more than 260,000 works of English and American poetry, drama,
and prose, plus biographies, bibliographies and key secondary sources." You
can do a search for words and phrases, but I am not sure how widely or
narrowly the search can be limited.
    LION is a Chadwick-Healey company, and can be contacted at
http://lion.chadwick.com. The Cantos text is not the most recent, and does
not include the suppressed Italian cantos; but it does include Drafts &
Fragments. The Chinese characters are there,--as well, of course, as the
Greek and the few hieroglyphs--but they have not maintained Pound's
lineation. They have numbered the lines--which can be useful--a line broken
twice with a drop would count as three lines.

Leon Surette
English Dept.
University of Western Ontario
London, Ont.