EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Peter Reavy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:38:21 +0000
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:10:14 -0600 Michael Alleman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> In the Donald Hall interview for Paris Review (reprinted in Hall's
> Remembering Poets, p. 225), Pound says:
>
> "[...] And now what one has got with the camera is an enormous
> correlation of particulars.  That capacity for making contact is a
> tremendous challenge to literature.  It throws up the question of what needs
> to be done and what is superfluous."

Apart from the "correlation of particulars", I've sometimes wondered whether
there was another similarity between Pound's approach and the theory of
film-makers. The ideogrammic method has something in common with Eisenstein's
theory of montage. A succession of images produces something which was not
present in any individual image.

Peter