EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:55:42 -0500
Richard,

I don't remember if it is in that particular book that
Dawkins introduces the "meme" concept.  You might want
to look up "Dawkins" and "meme" via a search program
on the Web.

==Dan

At 02:33 PM 10/29/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Dan,
>
>Though there are aspects of Darwin's writings that one might not WANT to
>work in the analogy with culture, there's no point in commenting until I
>have read it. Thank you,
>
>Richard.
>
>>Richard,
>>
>>On just one of your points, viz.: "Also, I'm not sure that Darwin
>>>remains Darwin or Selection is still Natural once transposed onto the
>>>cultural plane."  May I remind you that Richard Dawkins, author
>>of the immensely popular, neo-Darwinian "The Selfish Gene,"
>>contributed the idea of the "meme," the cultural equivalent of
>>the gene, as subject--on the highly accelerated historical
>>plane--to pressures of natural selection analogous to the
>>biological?
>>
>>==Dan

Dan Pearlman                    Office: Department of English
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5                 University of Rhode Island
Providence, RI 02906                    Kingston, RI 02881
Tel.: 401 453-3027                      Tel.: 401 874-4659
email: [log in to unmask]            Fax:  401 874-2580