EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Korg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:06:34 -0700
The three adjectives you cite from Women of Trachis apply well, I think,
to Pound's notion of himself if the "self-chastisement" interpretation is
followed.He would be thinking of himself as aspiring to these powerful
traits-- that would be his
vanity."
         Dan Pearlman's repeated point that Pound has expressed humility
earlier, so would not again, refutes itself, in my opinion. I am also
skeptical of his idea, well taken apart by other correspondents, that the
army or mankind in general are the subjects of the line.
        As for bringing other passages to bear on this one, Jerome McGann
has pointed out that the tendency of every part of the Cantos to bear on
every other part makes final judgment impossible, and opens the text to
continual re-interpretation.
        Is that what we are doing? And incidentally, I am still going with
the "self-chastisement" view I recently offered.

                                                Jacob Korg