EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:29:54 GMT
I don't have it to hand but doesn't it go something like "Re: USURY: I was
off base all along, mistaking the symptom for the cause. The cause is
AVARICE"? Does this mean that he abandons his various programmes for the
reform of the currency, or simply that he recognises that reform of the
currency is not a panacea? We seem to be expected to nod assent, as if, with
the benefit of this new insight, the riddle of Pound's thinking on ecomonics
might be solved, and all his maledictions redeemed.

On the other hand one might say that the very brevity of Pound's remarks are
a kind of expiation for the diffuseness of what they seek to qualify.

"At seventy I realised that instead of being a lunatic, I was a moron":
Pound quoted by Michael Reck in *A conversation between Ezra Pound and Allen
Ginsberg*, Evergreen, June 1968. Did he really say that?

Re "apologias" ("apologiae"?) in general, there have of course been plenty
made on Pound's behalf. My personal favourite is Desmond O'Grady's "Was
Pound a fascist? Not in the derogatory sense of that word" (this is from the
first of the *Agenda* special issues, I forget the date). Hmmm...

Richard Edwards,
London