EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:41:19 -0800
>   For all that, the movie Pulp Fiction, for example, worked in a kind of
>simple prismic or ideogrammic way. I tend to think it would not have been
>produced as it was without Pound or his Cantos coming first. And lots of
>people liked that movie. Maybe the modern world is slowly becoming more
>Poundian. But the emphasis is on slowly.

Talking about movies --

I have often wondered if Pound was consciously influenced by Griffith's 1915
masterpiece, Intolerance.  The subjects are similar -- history as illuminated
by notable moments.The style is even more like the Cantos -- instead of
telling his four stories separately and consecutively,Griffith interweaves
them in a manner elsewhere found only in music and   in    The    Cantos.

For years, I considered this idea rather far out,but then I read (in this
list) that Ez was a film buff and even advised Iris Barry on organizing
the Museum of Modern Art film library...

May I suggest, tentatively, that those unfamiliar with Intolerance shd
take a look at it and see if the montage doesn't remind them of the Cantos?
And if the speed-up (shorter and shorter"cuts" as all four stories
race toward their climaxes) doesn't suggest the acceleration as
the Cantos move toward their conclusion?

Just an idea...

mark chan

That is precisely what common sense is for, to be jarred into uncommon
sense.  One of the chief services whcih mathematics has  rendered the
human race in the past century is to put "common sense" where it
belongs, on the topmost shelf next to the dust cannister labeled
"discarded nonsense."
        Eric  Temple   Bell, Mathematics: Queen of the Sciences

Las die Lasagne weiter fliegen!

~