EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Ben.Harper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:18:51 +1000
"The Unwobbling Pivot" is Pound's translation of *Chung Yung*, one of the
four books in the classic canon of Confucian teaching.  One encyclopedia I
checked translated Chung Yung as "The Doctrine of the Mean"; Pound
translated it into Italian as "L'asse che non vacilla".  Pound argued that
Chung Yung was the book that provided a metaphysical perspective to
Confucianism.  It is interesting how Frye picks up on the importance Pound
gives to the word - Pound felt that the essence of Confucianism was
"precise verbal definition", from which order and equilibrium would flow to
all things.  The importance of precise verbal definition is discussed in
Pound's translation of Confucius' *Ta Hio* (The Great Digest, a.k.a. The
Great Learning).

Regards,
Ben.Harper