EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:18:36 -0700
Tim,
I am glad to go with you on this:
                                                    >Pound's Cantos bring
together
> these two courses: his art makes absolute statements using exempla of the
> 'proportionally good' action. The important idea here is _proportional_.
> Thus, when one encounters among Pound's exemplars individuals who have
taken
> drastic action, a fair question to ask is, What did Pound see as the
> proportional badness, historical or contemporary, that might have
warranted
> such extreme measures? The wartime broadcasts and his other prose works
shed
> light on the badness of these times, as Pound perceived it, and, in turn,
> illuminate the _proportional_ goodness of the exemplars whose actions are
> exalted in the Cantos.

But I don't go with you on this:
                    > For that reason, I would assert that his broadcasts
> and prose writings are integral to an understanding of the exemplars in
the
> Cantos.
The evidence of this list, and of the great bulk of criticism of Pound,
shows that if you start from the broadcasts and prose writings you never get
beyond them.  They are no more "integral" to an understanding of  The Cantos
than the dictionary is integral to an understanding of *King Lear*.  Useful,
necessary, but outside and separate from the poem.  If you don't read the
poem as determining its own making you just won't get it, as we mostly
don't.

David Moody

It