EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:52:15 -0400
7bit
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
OK, pencils, pens, crayons, down!
Seems most of you have left your paper blank.
One or two get partial credit for knowing that this portrait is in the possession of the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh, which institution acquired it, according to its registrar, in 1927.

The answer is: this painting resides in the BASEMENT of that museum, not on display, and there is no record of its ever having been on public display in recent memory.  The last time I checked was 1981.

Here's a reference received from Bill F., our Alaskan correspondent:

Peter Alexander's ROY CAMPBELL: A Critical Biography.
Oxford UP, 1982:
     Jacket illustration: portrait of Roy Campbell by
     Augustus John, c.1920.  Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh.

I bet you wouldn't have to use your toes too when counting the schools in the US that have Augustus John on an art history syllabus, or where students read anything by Roy Campbell.  When I was in school in the late 70s and early 80s, there were few places that did not give Pound a prominent position on
their syllabuses. Wyndham Lewis (whom T.S. Eliot called 'the greatest prose writer of my generation') was never mentioned.

Tim Romano