EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:14:05 -0400
Dear List,

In the essay _What is Money For?_ under the subheading "Usury" Pound
writes:

"The perspective of the damned nineteenth century shows little else than
the violation of these principles [that is money is a culturally
produced 'artifact']by demoliberal usurocracy. The doctrine of Capital,
in short, has shown itself as little else than the idea that
unprincipled thieves and anti- social groups should be allowed into the
rights of ownership" (SP)

This quote crystallizes the message I find throughout Pound's economic
theory: ungoverned Capitalism is entirely impoverishing. What I find
difficult to fathom is the reception of Pound as "capital happy" because
of his apparent willing manipulation of his and his friends' "image"
(Bel Esprit etc.) and cultural position for profit. Was Pound ever rich?

There probably is an exact quote Professor Seddon but I haven't found it
just yet.

All the best,
Chris Chapman