EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:31:00 -0700
Forgive my temerity in raising a topic
about which I know very little. With the help
of certain members here I was recently able to
outline, at the annual Japanese Studies Association
Canada (JSAC) conferencehere in Victoria, BC, CANADA.
the Japanese influence through Fenellosa and Pound,
and also show evidences of it in Canadian Lit. Prof.
and media prof. Marshall McLuhan.

In the process I ran into some interesing (to me anyway)
scholarly questions. Apparently, due to a syndrome
somnetimes called orientalism, which put very rosey lenses
on the engagment of Westerners with orintal culture,
both Fenellosa and Pound got it wrong. Fenellosa was
not justified in ignoring grammar, and Pound was unduly
influenced by the kanji element. A lot of westerners,
and very many Japanese are under the impression that
the japaese do not think in words. They think in images.
Linguists have disproven that illusion thoroughly.
One I consulted called it Orientalism run amock.

Here is a website that challenges Fenellosa.

http://www.pinyin.info/readings/texts/ezra_pound_chinese.html

Kenner's Pound Era does its bit to set the record
straight. Being an Eliot scholar of sorts, the above
came to me as something of a surprise. It is a road
that never seems to have been along my path.

Perhaps it is old news here.