ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 20:42:05 EST
Lord, Wollstadt!  What a great guy you are!  I laughed out loud over the last
item on your list!

Jack was the goal judge, and while he would be the first to admit the
possibility of a mistake, he is also very deft at following the puck and
seeing the ice clearly.  I sincerely doubt he made a mistake, though the only
quote from an on ice official I heard was Mike Tuell, (who I think was out by
the face off circle at the time) saying there was no goal.  If it wasn't the
puck, then the goalie had something the same size and shape as a puck on his
back sides.  I have seen a lot of goalie equipment, but none lately.  Maybe it
was a new piece of equipment, like a change purse for the soda
machine.....Irregardless, it simply doesn't matter anymore.  It might have at
the time, but that's hockey!

As far as the crowd is concerned, let's discuss that.  I saw very few students
there, and, with the exception of the "B*** S***" boys in the corner, there
were few yelling anything!  Am I just not sitting where the action is???
Gotta change my seats if the students are yelling somewhere else!  At least
when I sit in my seat behind Alfie, I do NOT get told that I can't yell, which
happened to me in DDD at the last home game!  ( I disagreed...)

It does seem to me though that the fan base is still there, very few waverers,
team still entertains!  I will forever miss the old Alfond, which shook with
the might of the crowd.  You really felt like part of an entity unto itself in
that barn.  Now the roof seems to absorb the sound, and the boys on the ice
don't hear you as much.  Maybe that is a reason why the play is not as
intense.

Enjoyed the recaps from the rest of you folks, but find myself with nothing to
add.  I still love the game, and this team of kids, struggling to be what they
see in their heads, what they know can be true.  When it finally gels, it'll
be real, and intense, and Alfond magic will be back.  It could happen anytime.
See you there!

Cathy Hart
Who will be watching old Maine Hockey game tapes until the 13th!