ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Phil Leavitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 23:04:23 -0400
I have been a previous (before 1996) member of Friends of Maine Hockey.  I
must admit that I first joined just to get the newsletter and information
about the team.  I am a two-time graduate from UMO and supported this team
from the Division II days when the Alfond was new and Salem State used to
bring cheerleaders.

I know live in Southern Maine and the news about the team is very sparse to
non-existent, unless they are on track to compete for a national title or
under scrutiny by the NCAA.

I stopped my subscription to FMH for the following reasons:

1.  The newsletter is filled with this and other Hockey discussion list
information that I have already read on the Internet.  I don't want to pay
$35 to re-read information that I have already seen and is out of date by
the time it is sent to me.

2.  All FMH functions appear to be oriented for FMH members that live in
and around the Bangor area.  The meetings and events are next to impossible
to attend for a normal person, who works hard for his money.  When I was a
member I felt very "left out".

3.  Last but not least is the apparent attitude of FMH that the NCAA
unfairly picked on the University of Maine, the Team and Shawn Walsh the
coach.  My own personal opinion, not that it counts for much :), is that
punishments to the University and the Team were deserved and that Shawn is
lucky to be able to come back as Maine's coach with only sitting out one
year.  I believe FMH should be neutral, just report the facts and stay away
from opinion.  That's what Hockey Discussion List's and Sports Bars are
made for.

On a positive side, here some suggestions that might get $35 bucks out of
me in the future.

1.  Convince the University and Shawn to re-instate 2 games back in the
Cumberland County Civic Center.  I really enjoyed the games and especially
getting together with all my Ex-UM friends for those events.

2.  Start rotating FMH meetings to other locations; north and south during
the year and  work hard to promote to all areas of the State.

3.  Maybe start a Southern Chapter?

4.  Try to provide each FMH the ability to purchase 2 "decent" seats per
member at normal price.  I have found it very difficult to get tickets to
games in Orono unless I call opposing schools and get stuck in the back row
beneath the balcony. :(.

That's it for now............