ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:33:10 +0000
From:
Maura Satchell <[log in to unmask]>
Greg:  Gotta jump in here, as you appear to be somewhat misinformed
or voluntarily blind to a few details:

> UMaine's endorsement  of Walsh's indiscretions

ENDORSEMENT?  He was suspended for a full year, sir, and
forced to remained out of hockey during that time.  You call that an
ENDORSEMENT?  He had other, highly attractive coaching
offers, during that time (outside of the NCAA), which would have been
 a possible easy way out, but he took his medicine with more class
than you obviously have in trying to judge something you obviously
have no clue about... Ultimately, he chose the high road, remaining
loyal to a team that stood by him as well.

Furthermore, did it occur to you that the University's higher ups
SHARED in the blame in a big way?  And what you view as
"endorsement" is actually their attempt to dissuade their own
guilt?  Without the presence of suitable compliance director, they
incurred much of the responsibility for the infractions.  Walsh
should not have had THAT concern on top of building one of the
leading teams in the nation.

>sends the wrong message to those who are concerned with the ethics
of a university.

Let's look at it from another angle:  S*** Happens, you pay your
dues, then you get on with it...It's part of oh, I don't know, call
it "growing up".   Like losses in hockey games, you GET OVER IT!!!
Walsh paid his dues.  Period.

> He's only been there since July, it might take him awhile to get up to
> speed on the antics of suspension boy.

Right, and up to speed on the lack of resources "suspension boy" had
to endure in the form of Compliance Director, strong AD, etc. etc.
during those fateful days which, ultimately, as you call it, lead to
the "Endorsement" of Walsh...

> First, there is no hyphen in the word overwhelming.  Secondly, the

If you are going to start correcting people's grammar, you might want
to be careful to keep your words in the same form, as is FIRST,
SECOND, ...???

> My point is only that, for some people, not all, the University's
> endorsement of their coach, who knowingly violated NCAA rules and then
> attempted to cover them up sends the wrong ethical message..

> My advice Maine fans, don't be defensive, if Shawn is so great shout his
> attributes to the heavens.  If this is too much for you, then just keep
> quiet!

We will, Greg, but then imbiciles like you come along and shout about
"Endorsements" and "Ethics" and stupid stuff like that... My advice,
Greg is to mind your own damn business in the future about things you
know so little about.

-Maura Walsh Satchell