EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:49:37 -0500
Thank you Peter,

I do hope the kind of silliness you describe doesn't spill over.

I am curious about your interest in Pound's dramatic sensibility. I have
been thinking about his relationship to Browning, the Ur- cantos and the
various stories of influence. Ronald Bush describes a delicate moment in the
advent of the Ur-Cantos where Pound is thought to hear Eliot's advice
concerning the presence of Pound's personality in that poem. Eliot is
thought, in abt. 1919, just prior to the Ur-Cantos revision from their 1915
'Poetry' incarnation into that year's 'Quia Pauper Amavi' state, to counsel
Pound to excise a 'redundant' passage of quibbling with Browning in their
private, Sordell-ian 'brother's speech.'

Bush guesses that Eliot found the section in Ur- Canto1, beginning with the
lines

What a hodge-podge you have made there! —
Zanze and swanzig, of all opprobrious rhymes!
And you turn off whenever it suits your fancy,
Now at Verona, now with the early Christians,

to be an intrusive statement of Pound's own personality and redundant to the
poem's better thematic traffic with Browning over the status of poetic and
historic facts. Bush reminds me that 1919 is the year Eliot wrote 'Tradition
and the Individual Talent,' and the wonderful prayer-lines regarding freedom
and personality.

(It is Sunday morning.)

I am interested in your sense of Pound's dramatic sensibility for what it
might tell us about the way he modulated his voice within a theme, working
between objective and subjective registers, 'live' and represented speech.
Does Pound's understanding, that is, not his 'howl-ing' 'errors', of the Noh
tradition shed any light here? 'Kamasuka' threads itself into these early
Cantos as well and is an aspect I have yet to consider. The advice and
references offered by Dirk Johnson is obviously a great place to start.

yours,
Chris.