EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Back door <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:41:12 -0700
I was preparing Pound's translation of "The River Merchant's
Wife: A Letter" for class, when I came across another translation
of the same poem. This one is by a Gary Geddes, and is from the
Chinese original. He called it "The Song of Ch'ang-kan".
Pound's is from the Japanese Rihaku version.
Here are the first few lines of the Geddes:

"While the hair barely covered my forehead
I plucked a flower and played at my front door.
You came by riding a bamboo horse
and we circled the well, innocent as green plums."

Why Pound would have used blue for the
color of the plums. Green makes more sense?
WHich translation is correct?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dan.