EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:20:27 -0700
Kate:

With the two set as discussion points, e. e. cummings seems the more
mainline modern to me.  His poetry, even that of the country,  seems urban.
Frost seems throw-back pastoral; almost Georgian.  Much of Frost's Imagery,
like some of H.D., is of the countryside.  Of course as someone has said the
Pastoral is about the primitive urges of the Urban so maybe Frost is
primitive modern?  :>)  In all seriousness I would suppose that a paper
could be developed along the lines of Frost detailing, through Pastoralism,
a rejection of the decayed modern Urb.  (Maybe it has already been done)
Pound, who relished the Urb, would not probably agree but maybe Eliot would.

Marianne Moore's images (note: little "i")  of animals, she is an
objectivist like Robert Creeley not a strict Imagist, might be profitable.
You might also look at the "Amygism" of Amy Lowell, what Pound thought
Imagism gone astray,  in order to see vitiation of the idea.

Are you interested in Imagism or Vorticism?  For an excellent discussion of
the Ideogramic method, which necessarily has a lot of good info on Imagism,
see,  _Ideogram, History of a Poetic Method_ by Laszlo K. Gefin.  Pound's
work on the Fenolosa papers would probably be of interest also.

Be sure to keep your big "I" Images seperate from your little "i" images.

I don't think the ex-pat idea would work well.  William Carlos Williams and
Richard Aldington would be hard to work into such a scheme.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA