EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:23:40 -0500
Once again, I suggest to Garrick to read some of the best
criticism on the Cantos.  To say that a work is not self-
sufficient if you need to refer to external sources is patently
absurd.  We on this list, who have had many disagreements
of a pretty sophisticated nature about the Cantos, their form,
their value, etc., have often had encounters with uninformed,
close-minded newbies who attempt to insert screws using hammers.
But everyone has a screw loose, I guess.
==Dan

At 06:52 PM 01/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Pound Listmembers,
>
>I should apologize for my tardy response to so many emails but I just
>returned from vacation. I would like to respond to a few emails in public and
>in particular. I will begin, however, with a few general comments:
>
>1) I am puzzled by the misunderstanding produced by my remark
>"self-sufficient work of art." In the context of the paragraph it appeared
>in, I believe it is clear. The Cantos are not self-sufficient because they
>require the aid of other books to understand. A student must purchase
>Terrell's Companion to the Cantos to have any idea what the references
>mean--the references and the glosses being essential in many places to attain
>the meaning of the passage. Thus, it is not an autonomous work of art.
>Pound's later poetry has not only involved--it has required--the explication
>and annotation of scholars (a la Joyce in Finnegan's Wake--a work Pound
>disparaged) to a remarkable degree.
>
>2) There are many competing theories concerning the form/structure of the
>Cantos. It seems clear to me that the Cantos have no form or structure. It
>[i.e. The Cantos considered as a unified work of art, and as an epic] has no
>plot, no central figure, no linear time or chronology, and no fixed verse
>form. To the obvious retort--that the Cantos have many plots, characters,
>chronologies, and verse forms--I would merely say it's not unified then is
>it?
>
>3) The consequences of the insight #2 above are as follows. A century full of
>American poets has taken Pound's lead in escaping poetic forms and
>structures. The so-called Free Verse movement has often used Pound's poetry
>(and particularly the Cantos) as a guide to "making it new." This has led
>(and I can hear the screaming begin already) to mountains of unreadable free
>verse--which has mistaken obscurity for profundity, and fragmentation for
>form. Viewed as an example of the 20th c. epic, the Cantos has led many a
>poet to ruin. Were it viewed as a cautionary tale, a mitigated triumph, an
>epic failure--it might have spared us LANGUAGE poetry, for example. This is a
>problem which Pound scholars will ignore, but for poets it's essential--how
>does one get beyond Modernism? To do that, you would have to diagnose what
>was good--and, most of all, bad--about the movement Pound started and the
>poetry he wrote.
>
>4) A great number of responses have disregarded my main proposition [i.e. The
>Cantos are a mess.] because reading the work has been "enlightening,
>educational, profound, etc." Such remarks side-step the main charge, of
>course, but I sympathize and agree with their position. The problem, I
>believe, is that scholars are attempting to elevate the Cantos as the
>foundation of Pound's poetic legacy--an attempt which will fail. Pound
>matters for many reasons--the least of them, I propose, is the Cantos.
>
>5) A few specific replies to emails follow:

> [...]

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN IN THE WORLD AND OTHER
MISFITS, may be ordered online at http://www.aardwolfpress.com/
"Perfectly-crafted gems": Jack Dann, Nebula & World Fantasy Award winner

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island