EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Davis, Alex" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:22:52 -0000
Mr Davis's (wilfully?) provocative post would appear to be premised on an a
priori notion of what an artwork should be, viz., "unified": "Considered as
an epic poem, as a unified work of art, the Cantos is a failure according to
any critical measure we wish to use."  I suspect that, in Mr Davis's
poetics, the phrase "unified work of art" is tautological; that is, he is
unable to consider the possibility of a dis-unified or disjunctive poetic
practice (hence his dislike for Maximus, among other post-Poundian long
poems).   Even if one were to accept Mr Davis's claim that the Cantos are/is
"nasty, obscure, fragmentary, and long" it does not follow that it fails
necessarily as a work of art. (Incidentally, is to be "nasty" to forsake the
aesthetic?  A large number of modernists possessed "nasty" views on class
(Woolf), race (Lewis, Eliot), gender (Faulkner) etc., etc.  Is this a reason
for not reading them?  My library would be quite depopulated!).
        I know there are many Poundians who view the Cantos as coherent and
unified; but if, for the sake of argument, one sees in the Cantos a
paratactic processual poetic that--regardless of Pound's intentions--resists
closure and totality, then the poem might be seen as forcing us to expand
our sense of what a long poem might _be_. I think that this is what is
genuinely avant-garde about the Cantos, and which still speaks to us--much
as Duchamp is still our contemporary.

        Regards and best wishes for the season,
        Alex Davis (no relation)