EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:43:58 -0400
Dear Eamonn or Rich or Big Mac or whatever,

    Do I detect projection in your overreaction? Actually I think Yeats and
Byron are greater poets.
    But I agree with you that anyone who criticizes movements such as those
which emanate from deluded tribalism deserve to have their ideas examined as
Pound  said they should rather than be summarily labeled in order to be
dismissed. What you call "genuine criticism...as simple social
prejudice...lazy and plain wrong", but sometimes just the right red herring
for the moment, I would add.
    So if you are serious about actually discussing the poem or poems or
whatever they may be called then I will suggest taking a Canto exactly from
the middle of what you term the uninteresting section, "Canto 26 to the mid
40s"; let's say Canto 33 which begins,

                                            "Quincey Nov.13, 1815
...Is that despotism
     or absolute power...unlimited sovereignty,
     is the same in a majority of a popular assembly,
     an aristocratical council, an oligarchical junto,
and a single emperor, equally arbitrary, bloody,
and in every respect diabolical. Wherever it has resided
has never failed to destroy all records, memorials,
all histories which it did not like, and to corrupt
those it was cunning enough to preserve....."

So what do you make of that, Mac? Is it poetry? Is it relevant? Has it any
truth to it? Does it anticipate a future? Reveal a past? Does it have your
name or my name on it? Do you want the label? Do I want the label? Are the
Cantos ready for that crusty old school of nostalgia, "litterae nihil
sanantes"?
    Discuss, discuss- Wouldn't Senator Brookhart have a field day with Dick
Cheney?

Charles Douglas Moyer