EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Stanton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:20:31 +0000
Sorry, I think hotmail overrode the EPOUND reply thing, so all the replies
were sent to my academic email account rather than the list; below are the
two replies to my original post. Rich

To: [log in to unmask]
From: "Von Underwood" <[log in to unmask]>

It may seem  disingenuous at first for me to say to, but it may be that
Pound was not a Romantic because he didn't want to be one. He may have
had a slanted, and inaccurate view of them, but there were others he
wanted to emulate more than the Romantics, stylistically and otherwise. I
thiknk perhaps one difference between Pound and the Romantics might be
an attitude toward tradition, something Pound saw as a positive force, when
it was working properly, but that some Romantics might have found an
impediment to their rather more individulistic sense of the sublime. Having
had enough of a sort of late Victorian schwarmeriei, I suspent he made
have chalked off a few romatics as a probably source of the degradation.
Hence Pound is drawn to a classicism, seen as a concentration of power
effected by perfection of form, and there is in Pound a kind of faith in a
deep
structure, there to be recovered in Jefferson and in Kung Fu Tzu, as if our
modern trouble were that we had lost the abiltiy to get it right, glimpsed
so
much more clearly by significant antecedents. In a way, Pound really
wanted there to be culture and civilizatiion, to lift people up, in a way
that
may link him more to Hobbes than to Rousseau. The romanitic impulse
might be to set just Pounds sort of notion of culture and tradition aside,
and
see what happens.

This isn't to say their aren.t some interesting formal comparision between
Roantic Ode and the Cantos, even if they might have given Pound some
discomfort.

I am sorry for approaching this in such amanner, but perhaps it will help to
get some discussion on your point rolling.

Pound and Eliot wanted to reinvent the poet as knower that the
Romantics/Wordworth had established.  The Cantos explore all of
history's heros and eternal verities in an attempt to do that, one of
the reasons he felt he had failed to "write Paradise."
    -Grace Davis

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger