EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:09:09 +0900
7bit
From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
I think this query deserves a better response. Being familiar with the
writer's native culture and language, let me restate what I understand of the
query. Then I'll try to respond, and I hope others will join me.

>I am now reading Ashbery's poems, which puzzle me a lot. Did Pound
>appreciate Ashbery or recognize him as a young poet from whom important work
could be expected? Or was >he outside of Pound's interest?

The answer to your first quest, I believe, is no. I think that by the time
Ashbery's poetry began to appear in print, Pound had little interest in young
poets. He thought he had done enough to recognize and encourage young talent
during the three decades before WWII. During and after the war, he believed
he had more important things to do.

Nor do i think Pound would have appreciated Ashbery's work if he had seen it.
In his early years in London and Paris, he appreciated surrealism as an
avant-garde movement, but by the thirties he felt that surrealist art was
"stale creampuffs" and anyone still doing it was merely recycling the
contents of some ancestral trunk in the attic.

That's all that comes to mind right now. Perhaps someone else could comment?

Wayne Pounds