EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Brennen Lukas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:59:55 -0500
What then, should America have done in response to the horrors of Sept. 11?
Should the Taliban still rule Afghanistan? Should Osama bin Laden be free to
build bigger and better bombs with which to kill non-muslims? Is not Saddam
Hussein himself a warmonger of the worst ilk? What is the pacifist response
to men willing to use unlimited aggression to maintain their ironfisted
rules?

We may not agree with President Bush, but he was elected to his office.
There was no military coup. Ballots were cast and they were counted to the
best of our ability. And if Bush's actions displease the voters, another
will take his place. So he cannot be equated with the likes of bin Laden,
Hussein and Kim Jong Il.

Furthermore, the disarmament of Iraq is not the will of the United States
alone. It is a repeated resolution of the United Nations, which is as close
to global government as we have presently. Yet, as has happened other times
in our history, only America is willing and able to take up the challenge.
How ironic that France and Germany protest and stall. There were warning
signs from Hitler, you know, before he invaded Poland. Sadly, the world
waited too long and millions and millions had to die for history to teach
its lesson.

With great power comes great responsibility. America cannot simply turn a
blind eye to the vipers in the grass. Nor can it turn its cheek and accept
the bites of tyrants. Our freedom is bought with blood. We could not even
have a similar discussion in Iraq. To openly criticize Saddam is to lie down
in a pine box.

Of course oil is involved in the present confrontation. It is in the world's
interest to have a stable Middle East. It serves no nation to have a
threatening dictator smack in the middle of the world's energy reserve. We
cannot even imagine a modern civilization without asphalt roads, combustion
engines, plastics and computers. The time will come when the oil will run
out, but for now, it's all we have.

Are we willing to give up our way of life?