ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:31:34 -0500
What a great game we have in college hockey!

Two fairly evenly talented (not alike, but even) and well-coached teams
can play three very different games.

Shortly before the game, my son and a couple of neighbors got together
to predict the score, as we always do.  3-2, 4-1, 5-2 and 4-1, all for
Maine, of course ;-)

Though each team out-played the other for great scoring chances on
occasion, this game was defined by a few minutes in the second period by
a few NU penalties inviting a potent Maine power play to the ice to do
their thing (very well).   NU was hampered for the rest of the game, as
two of their leaders would play no more, examples of what an NU player
gets when he doesn't play for the team.

Late in the game, Joey Diamond got in a scuffle with an NU player.  Not
content at just knocking the NU player off his game, Diamond tried to
knock his block off, and received a game disqualification and other
honors.  Diamond obviously knew what he had done, as he hesitated at the
Maine Penalty box door, as if to ask "Penalty box or locker room?".   It
was a good question, as HEA refs go out of their way most of the time to
avoid disqualification penalties (player is banned from the rest of the
game plus one more game for each disqualification of the season).

Former HEA Commissioner Stuart Haskell had a fine league rule, IMHO:
receive a game disqualification and the league will penalize you another
game.  Maybe Maine Coach Tim Whitehead or the AD will step up and do
what Haskell did: no fighting -- play for your team and college hockey.

(Don't get me wrong, I wish Saturday's game was on TV so I could "see
the game" again; if a video of Joey shows up on YouTube, please share it
with us!)

Holiday cheers, Wayne