ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:40:52 -0800
Thanks Deron for breaking the silence.

I was also happy to see what I saw out of Maine today.
I was also happy to see Nonni on TV during the post game interviews, smiling and looking cheerful!

Ok so, on to Maine hockey.  One thing I noticed was that Nyquist is very noticeable ESPECIALLY when he does not have the puck.  I think that one of the things that makes a GREAT hockey player is that he is always doing the right thing when he does not have the puck.  I cannot count how many times the puck seemed to bounce onto his stick, just like the puck used to bounce onto Gretzky's ...I think it was Gretzky who said there is no such thing as puck luck, you make your own luck.  Well, Nyquist is clearly a kid who makes his own luck.
Tim has clearly shaken up his coaching style quite a bit.  This team went from "we have no room for a guy who plays with Bellamy's intensity" to a team where almost everyone is hitting everything in sight.  This is the old Shawn style and the style that Tim coached in 2002.  (Watch the Piotrowski game, and you will see what I am talking about).
Kerluke said a mouthful during an intermission when he said that a key to the game was to keep BC out of the penalty box because Maine is better even strength than on the Power Play.  I think it was a misstatement, but he was right.  I noticed that for the first time in about 4 years, Maine had players crashing the net at every opportunity even strength, and Maine had one or 2 players in front of Muse.  EXCEPT ON THE POWER PLAY where it was the futile 3 men behind the goal line play.  There was even a play where Van Dyke was standing behind the goal line for what seemed like 20 seconds, waiting for a pass from the other guy behind the net.  There was a room full of people on this list yelling at the TV over that one!!!

Darling seems to be the real deal.  He made 2 great saves when his team forced him to, and the rest of the time, he did a great job of controlling rebounds, playing his angles  and stopping shots.

Maine has a goalie!  It is so nice not to have the one guaranteed one weak one per game happening.

Other notes, I have seen Providence play this year at Lowell, and while Lowell is really a good team and I would bet, bound for the NCAA tourney (if they can straighten out their goalie problems.  one injury and one bad boy).  But, Providence is really awful!  I cannot believe that Tim Army has an awful team, but I saw NOTHING out of them in the one game that I saw.  Maine should have no problem sweeping this coming weekend, but they will have to continue scoring goals.

BC really misses Gerbe.  They had no forward who could play with his intensity.  Petrecki is a great player, and the most intense guy on the team, but his intensity, I fear, only translates into intimidating the opposition.  something a team can use, but it does not help a lot if nobody can score.  Prestin had Todd Jackson,  Colin Shields and Levs.

BC will be a totally different team come April, and hopefully Maine will improve as much as BC does.