ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:18:18 -0400
Comments within ...

Dan Doucette wrote, in part,  on 3/15/2007 9:52 AM:
> Report in today's BDN says radio broadcasts are to move from WZON to
> WVOM.
>
> http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/sports.aspx?articleid=147487&zoneid=23
>
> Questions for those in Orono:
>
> (1) I don't believe that WVOM streams on the Internet. Will Internet
> broadcast of Maine hockey be continued on the new station ?

There may or may not be internet audio.  I would not assume any internet
audio to be free of charge -- quite the opposite.

> (2) Will there be any change made to the on-air tandem ?

Start from scratch.  Could be same; could be, probably will be, different.

That article by Ernie Clark seems pretty factual, given what little I
know.    WZON was caught completely off guard, IMHO.  They thought they
were "in" wrt negotiations, with the consultant to help build a
statewide network of affiliates.   Now the consultant runs the show and
who needs WZON?

Clear Channel and Black Bear Sports Properties (Learfield Sports)
clearly don't need WZON and probably could not make a buck as an
affiliate in the WZON coverage area, so this makes some financial sense,
even if we all know it stinks.  WZON's failure to move to or add high
power FM clearly hurt them, even if they otherwise did a fantastic job.

Interestingly, the University still makes no direct money from the contract.

Interestingly, Black Bear Sports Properties refer to significant sports
and others.  Hockey and basketball will apparently get aired, but how
many baseball and softball is yet to be decided.  Outside of WGUY/WVOM,
it's not clear what Clear Channel stations will participate at what level.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan of outsourcing.

IMHO, the University knew what they were getting with Blake James and
this is a good example.  It probably makes great cents, at least in the
short term, but now the Kings are no longer in the background
supporting, among other things, free internet broadcasts.

All the employees at WZON must be feeling pretty unsteady right now ...
the down-sizing, if they can survive, will, I would think, be
substantial. :-(

cheers, wayne

P.S. Maine's got the NCAA tournament teams right where they want them.
See you in St. Louis!