EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jeffery Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:48:05 -0400
Thanks to those of you who helped me find the source of a reference to
Pound by Northrop Frye.  I have another.  In his essay "Religion and
Poetry" (1959), Frye writes:

        Some poets feel that man is walled off from a higher destiny by
superconscious powers that he can never reach and that are indifferent to
him....  Others, such as Robinson Jeffers, see nothing in front of man
except his gradual disappearance as a natural species.  Ezra Pound finds
the source of his vision of the human world in Confucius and the
"unwobbling pivot" of the Word--the human word, not a divine word made
flesh.

If anyone can point me to the source for the phrase "unwobbling pivot,"
I'd be grateful.

        Jeffery Donaldson

Jeffery Donaldson                               905-525-9140
Department of English                           x 24132
McMaster University                             fax 777-8316
Hamilton, Ontario                               [log in to unmask]
L8S 3Y8