ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:44:04 EDT
>I would like to hear some fan comments about the new student seating
>arrangement and the new location of the band in the balcony. Are you
>happy with the University's lastest change?

I'm very happy with the change of the band location!  The sound will be
powerful throughout the arena and that's great.  Speaking as an usher,
the new location is wonderful, because the newcomer to the arena will
now be able to communicate with an usher, something that was very
difficult when the band starts up right overhead of the main entrance!

On student locations, I'm impressed with the change and the effort that
the Athletic Department is putting forth in getting students easily and
quickly into the games, with very good (student) control of seating.

If some student leaders emerge to really get a good turnout, Maine
hockey will really be back.  We have the potential for one of the most
exciting years ever.  But you've gotta see it in person!

   The doors normally open at 6pm for a 7pm game and the teams take the
   ice for pre-game warm-ups at 6:22.  If you really want to fire up your
   team and start the intimidation of the opponents, come early to get
   the best seats and welcome the team on to the ice for warm-ups!  The
   band will be there ...  Time to chat ...  Good chance for your own
   evaluation of our new guys (can they handle the puck, do they have a
   slap-shot, how do the goalies move?) or give the opposition a look-see.

>Personally, I am happy to see the students move to balcony, but not
>happy with the move of the band. My seats are right below the band and I
>am very concerned about the noise level that my toddler son will have to
>deal with.

Years ago, the band was down in the S/T corner of the rink, and I
ushered at nearby Q/R (entrances were at south end of rink only).  I
often brought my now 20-something son, who was then just a toddler.  I
think he learned to dance in those sessions as he was often down at ice
level in front of the band having a great time.  Perhaps some of you
old-timers will remember :-) The point is that the band members tend to
be fine and enthusiastic people, and having them over you might be more
fun than someone that smuggled in a drink and kicked it over, right over
your head.

Anyway, I haven't been "below the band" (Sect II/JJ) during play, but I
suspect it will be loud.  It could be a great time for your toddler (My
3 year old will be in GG, at least some of the time;  that is close to
the band).  If you fear for your child's hearing, I would think it
prudent to bring and use some sort of protection.  If s/he has used ear
plug for swimming, perhaps that's the thing to do?

Is this gonna be a great season or what?!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3