ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:11:43 EST
>Perhaps it is time for the Bears to pull the chute or pull a St.
>Bonnie's and just decline an invitation to the NCAA Tourney.  They
>obviously don't want to be out there.

Funny.  I was just having the same thought, returning from the funeral
of Hugh Murphy, long-time friend, professor at Maine and yellow jacketed
usher at 60+ games per season. :-(

Hugh was one of the few people I can or care to argue with.  On this
topic of ours, I'd take the St.  Bonneventure side and argue that the
results of the past several weeks shows Maine didn't earn the spot, the
spot the next team in line could probably do better with, and maybe
deserves more.  Hugh would argue that giving up isn't the answer.  This
team and staff has the talent.  They just need to decide what needs to
be done;  what roles to fill;  and then work hard to prepare for the
next challenge.  I'd argue that individually they'll continue to execute
poorly as a team.  Hugh would reply that its individual effort that
prepares for team success.   I never "won" an argument with Hugh ;-)

Maybe there's something in this story for this team; I just wanted to
share it.

>How many would have gone with Doyle last night?

The problem isn't the selection of goalie.

cheers, wayne