ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:32:02 -0500
For luck, I'll *not* say "MC is no patsy!"  ;-)

However, I might point out MC leads UMaine in most rankings, including
KRACH, HEAL, RHEAL, the original RPI, the NCAA's current RPI and CHODR. :-(

Jon is always right, but I had different feelings on NB game, and since
the campus has just closed for the day, I have a few moments to write ...

NB took the crowd out of the game and "put on a clinic" during the first
period.  I loved their short passes, moving well without the puck, and
playing smart, not out of control.  It really allows them to "see the
ice", make good passes and adjust positioning to accept passes that
aren't perfect.  Some of the NB players have very good speed ...
obviously they have lots of confidence and experience.  Except for the
speed remark, UMaine doesn't yet excel in these categories, IMHO.

Through most of the game, the UMaine shots on goal number approached NB,
but NB shots were generally well-timed, while UMaine shots were not and
were not good chances.

The goalie play deserves some comment on both sides, I think.  NB played
both their goalies.  Their top goalie played the first 2 periods, with
the backup playing the third.  Both were very solid, but didn't have to
be outstanding.  NB had played the night before our game, a loss to
Moncton at home, with their starting goalie playing badly and getting
pulled.

The UMaine goalie was Dave Wilson, and I thought he was outstanding!
The final score was 2-1, but the game could have gotten out of hand in
the first period.  Wilson was the difference maker.  He didn't get the
win, but he was one of the more effective UMaine players on the ice.
Good show.

NB was good at "clogging passing lanes", especially during the first
period, but I thought UMaine adjusted, eventually, and even turned the
tides in the third period.  NB "gets away with" throwing the puck to the
middle of ice in their own zone because of their skill, but in the third
period, perhaps partly because of fatigue, UMaine intercepted several of
these and had good scoring chances.  That we even had a player step into
that area is exciting to me, for (I've often though this year) UMaine
gives up too much (of the ice in that area IMHO) ... we have some
aggressively checking forwards, but the second or third player to make
the opposition pay for a mistake just isn't in an offensive-thinking
position.  That we still give up transition goals is probably a good
reason to be playing back, but I'd at least like to see the team shift
gears to different styles of play (more than they do).

The cold weather and perhaps exhibition status of the game made for a
small crowd, with a surprisingly small number of students in
attendance.  I hope that the current non-winning streak has nothing to
do with it ... early season student attendance and spirit were
tremendous.  If you can come to the MC game, expect to get in and get a
good seat, whether student or not, this Saturday. (The ticket office
response and reality may vary).

This leaves penalties as a possible discussion target.   There were *no*
penalties in the first period and very few during the game!  NB was
clearly there to win and play cleanly doing it.  UMaine did well
penalty-wise also, except for two too-many-men-on-the-ice penalties.
(I'm no referee, but I thought UMaine has been lucky this season in that
they haven't been called more for too-many-men-on-the-ice, especially
when pulling the goalie).

The first too-many-men-on-the-ice was due to a replacement playing the
puck before the player he replaced was off the ice.  A sloppy, striped
crew might not have called it, and probably would not have called it if
the player had let the puck go through is legs ... but what to do out in
no-man's-land is not always easy to gauge.

The second too-many-men-on-the-ice brought on a 1-minute-plus 5-3 for
NB, but it didn't take that long.  What NB did was simple and
effective.  As I recall it, they had their 3 forwards spread across the
goal line, with the defencemen spread equidistant across the blue line.
The defencemen had the puck and just passed it back and forth, slightly
working their way toward the top of the circles.  UMaine was in a
triangle, with one player trying to cover the NB defencemen.   When the
UMaine defender took just a half-step too much toward the left
defenceman, the right defenceman took an easy stride or two in, received
a perfect pass, and snapped a beautiful shot from perhaps 20 feet to the
far side over Wilson's right pad.  I'd love to hear how to defend that!

Contests!  --- What do ya know?

* Free directions on how to subscribe to ME-Hockey for the first person
to report the number of minutes of play since UMaine has held a lead.

* Free subscriptions to ME-Hockey (gift-wrapping not available) to the
first people to report the UMaine team leader in scoring, goals, and
assists. One answer per person, please!

* Free praise to the first person to tell us the UMaine record this
season when scoring 3 or 4 goals (only subscribers not yet having posted
this season are eligible for this contest).

Reminder: The Tim Whitehead Show, hosted by Larry Mahoney, is on radio
(including internet), Monday's at 7pm.  Past shows are available on the
internet, too.

Of interest to no one but me ... did I remember to put an ice scraper in
my vehicle?   :-(

cheers, wayne