ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:34:30 -0500
Dan writes: Also, I didn't see much reporting on the reasoning behind
Coach's choice to go with Jimmy Howard for both games in the HE
championships.

If he indeed feels Jimmy now has the "hot hand", should we expect the
starter against Hahhhvahhhhd to be Howard once again ?

Dan, two quotes from the Portland Press Herald ... (1) "Howard started both
Friday and Saturday, confirming suspicions about Maine's super tandem of
Frank Doyle and Howard. Doyle has been very good, but Howard has been too
sensational for too long. He has not allowed an even-strength goal since
December. Doyle did not lose his co-No. 1 position. Howard simply took over.
Whitehead has continually praised Doyle, but he bluntly said the decision to
go with Howard on Saturday was 'an easy one to make.'
Expect to see Howard the rest of the way in the NCAA tournament, which
starts Friday."

(2) "The semifinal and final of the Hockey East tournament marked the first
time all season Howard started consecutive weekend games, instead of
alternating in net with Doyle.
Whitehead said he will wait until later this week to inform his team of the
starting goalie against Harvard, which took Maine to overtime two years ago
in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Black Bears reached the 2002
championship game before losing to Minnesota.
'The good news is, if we need to adjust,' Whitehead said, 'we have more
options than most teams. That's an advantage.'"

Of the 30 wins this season, Doyle has been in the net for 18 ... you make
the call, Dan. :-)