ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:16:00 -0500
Thoughts after watching broadcast of the BU game:

GO BLUE:  The shade of blue is spot on for me, especially as it shows on TV.
 Also, the letters and numbers seemed to show up quite well on the
broadcast, although some USCHO posters thought it was tough to see at the
Alfond.  I do agree the "snarling bear" could be a little larger.
Otherwise, count me in  as a buyer!!!

Any idea when replica third jerseys will be sold, instead of the more pricy
game-quality kit ?  Hopefully, the Nike clothing monolith can produce the
replica kit in time for holiday shopping, to maximize revenue and before the
"newness" wears off a little.  This would be especially true for "kids" as
the game quality stuff is sized to the uniform sizes (all adult).

Do the game-quality jerseys as sold come with a lettering / numbering
allowance ?

WABI jitters:  I have posted an email complaint to WABI TV concerning their
Saturday broadcast.  Leaving intermission, they missed the start of not just
the second period action, but the THIRD period also.  That is I suppose
excusable once, but not TWICE.  Will post the thread here once any reply is
received, for information of all.

BTW, BU doesn't have to hire me for President there also, and I'll not do it
for just 1 % of what Daniel Goldin took.  Pay me $ 18,000 and I'll agree not
to sue them for the job, either.  Talk about a disfunctional Board of
Directors, at least I hope they can get the Agganis Center (a/k/a the Jackie
Parker Whineatorium) completed.  Make sure the dashers are extra-strength at
the home team bench, though, so they can support the head coach standing on
them to berate the referees....

Now to the action on the ice from Saturday:

BU looked only two lines deep at times, whereas Maine's depth provided the
energy to keep on top of things as the pressure (from two lines) was cranked
up in the final period.   Jackie P, though, hardly ever gets caught in
shortening his bench too often (as compared to Jerry York !!), but it just
seems there is a big drop in the skill level from the Terrier's line 1 to
his line 4.

I like the "Z" - where was he ?  Why did he not suit up for the last two
games ?  I hope this isn't turning into a Paul Lynch-like "healthy scratch"
scenario, creating a frustrated player who sincerely wants to be out there
every game, but is benched perhaps way too often for the player's liking.
Is there going to be a rotation coming of "healthy scratches" every weekend ?

Colin Shields has his shot back...his goal was a typical accurate laser beam
and was released very quickly.

I am encouraged that Maine at this point seems to be less into over-passing
the puck than last year.  You don't have to be cute, and look for the
"perfect" play...put it on net, and good things will usually happen.

Coach did say in the WABI post-game interview that crowd enthusiasm in his
opinion helped the team to its fast start in the first period.

Chuck-a-puck was shown during the second interrmission on TV.  I like it,
but not throwing at fixed targets.  I much prefer if it were a shopping cart
target pushed around the ice by the team mascot, like at Lowell.
Confession:  when at Lowell, I don't aim my shot at the shopping cart....lol
 I hope the recipient of funds does very well in that promotion at Alfond.

Yes, it WAS the trap employed by Maine, especially in the third period.
Shots-on will confirm that story...10-4 in favor of BU in the third period.
 That is an inevitable consequence of staying out of an offensive-minded
mode to concentrate on neutral zone play, and "good D".  It can have
disastrous consequences if not done well (read: Minneapolis, and most of the
second half of last year).  You can live by the trap, and die by it also.
BC may be way too fast and NH the rink may be too large to allow the trap to
work this coming weekend, if Maine tries to hold a lead at either place,
should circumstances warrant.

Let me think of my "new and improved Alfond" ideas a little more before
posting any suggestions.

Dan