ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:31:51 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> One of the things Nero has done this year is to take  most of the tickets that had been set aside for corporate sponsors (and which often weren't being used) and making them available as season tickets.

> Nero has a huge challenge--to make the UMaine athletic program financially self-supporting--and bundling tickets is one of many new approaches he is trying to increase athletic department revenue.  There are three alternatives to increasing revenue: (1) getting more money from the Legislature to support UMaine athletics, (2) shifting money away from academics or other UMaine activities to give more money to athletics, or (3) reducing the funding level for some or all athletic programs.  I think the chances of #1 or #2 happening are nil, and reduced funding is likely to ensure mediocrity in all sports, including our beloved hockey program.

YAY!  DAVID!!
In two brief and cogent paragraphs, Dave has summed it up perfectly.  Patrick had no clue how bad things really were when he took this job, I suspect, and he is trying to make things better as quickly and seamlessly as possible.  Give him credit for trying and cut him some slack as he and a number of brand new department staff members get a handle on who and what we are at Maine.

If, a year from now, you think he or someone in the department is screwing up -- let him have it.  In the meantime, give him a much needed break from carping and just ask him something if you have a question or a complaint.  He is always available on the Q&A board, can be reached at [log in to unmask] and the office phone is 207-581-1052 where you may be able to speak with him or, if not, with his most affable assistant, Linda Thayer.
Peace, comrades :-)
Nonni

President, M Club
Co-Advisor, All Maine Women